Thursday, March 9, 2017

(January 28)
Day 34 - Deming NM Rest Day
Maintaining the Machine
 
My afternoon tourist excursion: The Luna Mimbres Historical Musem. For a small town like Deming, it really was a terrific museum. I so enjoyed seeing how proud the residents were of their little corner of the world.
 
Early bicycle pioneers of Deming, leading the way for my own small contribution to Deming cycling history.
 
 
I didn't plan on taking a rest day, but I am worried that if I don't get the inflammation in my right knee under control it could spell the end of my trip altogether. So, I've spent the day icing down my knee and popping Advil in a serious attempt to keep the machine which powers my bike up and running strong! I'm lucky the hotel WiFi can handle streaming video while I do this...not all of these smaller towns have internet that can handle it. Pretty much anything that will keep my knee immobile is the focus of the day.
 
Except for my mandatory visit to Subway for lunch. And, since it was on the way back from Subway, I stopped at the local museum. One of the very few "tourist" activities I've engaged in on this trip, it was really an extensive set of exhibits that did a wonderful job of showcasing how much the locals love their town.
 
Tomorrow is another long day on I-10 in which I hope for the following on my way to Lordsburg NM:

1) More warmth
2) No/less opposing wind
3) Better pavement
4) Lessening knee trouble
 
I'll take any of them in fact!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment