Thursday, March 9, 2017


(February 1)
Day 38 - Duncan AZ
Walkabout
 
I spent the morning sitting by the fire reading a small book about "The Old West Highway" which I'd been riding since Lordsburg and will continue riding tomorrow.

The view from Veteran's Park, high on the ridge above the valley which Duncan nestles in.

The sign made me think of Whit McKinley, a good friend back in Jackson who loves birds. Turns out that the area is known for the bald eagles that nest along the Gila River Valley near Duncan.
 
After an extensive patrol of the area, I can report that Duncan is now safe. It took five weeks of bicycling and an epic foul-up by the US Government in order for fate to bring me to this sleepy little border town, but I wasted no time doing my small part for civic tranquility by walking around aimlessly.
 
Well, once I learned this morning that "the package" would arrive tomorrow morning and NOT today. Which, naturally, meant I would spend an extra day waiting.
 
So, I've toured this tiny town on foot. Enjoyed lunch at the only other restaurant in town I'd not yet visited. Dozed in the sun at one of the two local parks. Gazed down at the way-more-water-in-it-than-I-expected Gila River and said to myself "yep, that is a river" before drifting onward roughly 15 seconds later. I've attempted to look inconspicuous while on patrol so that possible perpetrators don't realize I'm on patrol. And I've spent a lot time working on the major decision of which restaurant to have dinner at.
 
The life of the Walking Tourist is hectic!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment