Wednesday, March 8, 2017

(January 18)
Day 24 - Sanderson to Marathon TX
Transition or Transformation
 
 

Today was the first day when I knew I'd have nowhere to stop for lunch at any point during my 55 miles. So, I packed my own lunch! I saved one of the CLIF bars for my mid-afternoon snack, but otherwise I devoured everything you see here.


Mountains in the distance all around me, but I was basically riding only in the valleys today.
 
A pic that Jerry & Ruth took of me as we chatted over dinner in Langtry. The red-tinged light is the gorgeous sunset that evening.
 
 
Today was pretty much thoroughly uneventful. Which is why I’m going to talk mostly about a conversation I had yesterday with Don Potter of Antarctica fame.
 
I was up early, had some not-very-tasty breakfast tacos at the local convenience store and was out on the road not too long after dawn. The key element today’s journey was that it was steadily uphill...and by steady I mean “relentlessly”...uphill for the first 40 miles of the 55 miles I rode today. Not anything like the rolling hills of days past, just a steady grind. Wasn’t too bad really although it meant I was in a pretty low gear all day. And low gears mean less speed and a longer day. And while the day began quite chilly and overcast, there was little wind and by noon the sun was out and it was pleasantly warm. I really like days where the weather isn’t a major factor!
 
I ended up having a pleasant lunch by the side of the road after roughly 30 miles (which took me 4 hours to ride might I add). I used the lip of a culvert as my bench and waved to passing RVs. This is a big RV area due to its proximity to Big Bend National Parks and I saw a LOT of RVs roll by me today. And by the time I got within 5 miles or so of Marathon there was actually a couple of short stretches where I was going downhill!
 
That pretty much does it for today’s travelogue. I suspect there may be a few more like this before I get out of Texas.
 
So what I wanted to add was an observation by Don that many of the bike tourists fall into one of two categories. They are either seeking Transformation or they are seeking Transition. I’ve not shared his experience with the folks I’ve met so far, but I, at least fall into one of those two camps. But, as I pondered today, one or both?
 
Certainly I’m in transition. This window that has made it possible for me to do this was opened entirely due to transitioning away from my old job and away from the burdens of my dead marriage that simply wouldn’t go away. And while I contemplate every day what I’ll do next, I don’t yet have an answer. Ideas, sure. But no final answer.
 
The bigger question I was asking myself today, however, was whether or not there is an element of transformation in this journey for me? I spent the day trying to decide what I was transforming from...and then what I believe I might be transforming to. What I concluded is that while I didn’t end up specifically going on this bike tour in order to transform myself, I believe that it can’t HELP but transform me. Certainly, there is a physical element of transformation, and that is a good thing. I could never have ridden this far this many days in a row pushing so much weight without having three weeks of this under my belt so far.
 
But more importantly than that I have a great desire for this physical journey to transform me into a better person. While I have no idea what possible connection simply riding my bike westward each day could have to me being transformed into a better human being, I still hope that...somehow...it does.
  • I would like for my perseverance through the brutal conditions and circumstances of yesterday to transform me into a more patient, loving and kind man.
  • I would like for the humility I experienced when I had to walk up those hills a few days ago to transform me into a better friend.
  • I would like my learning to say “yes” to the things the universe throws out in front me as I did when I accepted a ride during a driving rainstorm to transform me...some day...into a better, more loving partner if a woman shows up in my life.
  • I would like my acceptance of the inevitability of having broken all my rules to transform me into someone who is bolder and more willing to accept risks when the prize justifies it.
  • And I would like my realization that I’m just a simple bike tourist who needs to simply enjoy riding transforms me into a person who exists in the moment I’m in...not a moment in the future.
 
With this many hours on a bike each day, hope that at least some of this transformation takes place is a great thing to have!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment